Sunday, January 21, 2007

Falling Stars: Rainer Maria Rilke

Do you remember still the falling stars
that like swift horses through the heavens raced
and suddenly leaped across the hurdles
of our wishes--do you recall? And we
did make so many! For there were countless numbers
of stars: each time we looked above we were
astounded by the swiftness of their daring play,
while in our hearts we felt safe and secure
watching these brilliant bodies disintegrate,
knowing somehow we had survived their fall.

Loving this poem today.

(completely shallow sideline thought, I just found a pair of earrings called "Seeing Stars" that Terri is going to exchange the not-quite-right earrings for)

Making wishes on falling stars. I used to do this (who didn't?). I forget, in the city, to look for them. When we go camping, I'm going to make an effort to find some.

I've been thinking a lot about wishing, or making wishes (and making them come true) this weekend. I've been taking very good care of myself, and I'm feeling the little beginnings of wishes swim to the surface again. I'm glad. I was feeling so drained and devoid of future-wishes. I hate feeling like that.

I like to think, in the last couple lines, about the stars dissolving into the night, and taking our wishes with them. The image I have is of the wishes being released into the night sky, to the Universe.

(Am I getting a little too 'precious' here?)

But really. The stars burn up and go out (do they really?) but we are left here. Maybe this about how it's our responsibility to show up for our wishes, as they begin to come true. I know in my life, many times I've perversely run away when I saw that something I'd wished for was starting to come true (not going to the college I wanted to, even though I was accepted... turning down opportunities because I was too scared to take them).

Mostly, I just love the language of this poem. I feel like I want to read it aloud, over and over.


No comments: