Tuesday, January 30, 2007

God Says Yes To Me: Kaylin Haught

I asked God if it was okay to be melodramatic
and she said yes
I asked her if it was okay to be short
and she said it sure is
I asked her if I could wear nail polish
or not wear nail polish
and she said honey
she calls me that sometimes
she said you can do just exactly
what you want to
Thanks God I said
And is it even okay if I don't paragraph
my letters
Sweetcakes God said
who knows where she picked that up
what I'm telling you is
Yes Yes Yes

It might be a little obvious, (and I don't really know what I mean by that) but, I still like this poem. I think I'm especially liking the part about God saying it's just fine to do "exactly what you want to."

I'm always curious about these sorts of poems and things, where people write in "God's voice". Like, is this just what you want God to say? Or is it what you believe God says?

Is there really a difference?

My book club was talking about this at our last meeting. Is God a voice you hear inside yourself, and do you have to call it God or is it okay to just say it's your "inner voice." And, does it really matter?

I wonder sometimes what I believe, myself. I'm okay with not knowing. What I mean by that is, I think I really believe that God is a mystery, and that there is a whole lot that we'll just never know. And I think that's okay; I don't really want to know everything. I know what I believe within myself to be right and wrong, and I know how to listen to that little voice (whether or not I choose to act upon what is says is something altogether different...). Now, does that come from me, or from God?

It really doesn't matter to me. I do believe that we are all created from a Something, and we're all connected in some way, so whether I believe it's God talking to me or not, doesn't make any difference since whatever Is, Is. Just because I may or may not believe in God, doesn't mean God doesn't (or does) exist.

However, God being a Creator, I do think that he or she or it is more inclined to say Yes, than No. I think God leaves room for error, and doesn't mind if you make mistakes as long as you decide to try and keep learning from them. And I think it's each of our duties to become as fully our own true self as we are able.

Side note: sometimes, I wish I were more melodramatic. I'm sure my friends and family are glad that I'm not (or maybe I am, but I just don't know it!), but sometimes I wish I were. You know? It's gotta feel good sometimes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daphne, I'm loving your writing! You're outlook on things is fun and refreshing. I feel the same way about lots of stuff you touch on. I've also recently tried to bring poetry back into my life (although I'm not sure it was there much to begin with).

This poem is one that brings up some personal questions. I appreciate it for that. I'm with you – I don't think that our belief or disbelief is something that God would be concerned with. At all. Which comforts me somehow :)

Daphne said...

Thanks, Liz! I appreciate the reader! :) I'm enjoying this project although I might not always get the poem up first thing in the morning like I'd like...

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can reveal that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is even now a without question as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with issue of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=ashampoo photo commander 6 ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you have not used. Or you use the dreary methods of promotion of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg