Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Spring is like a perhaps hand: ee cummings

Spring is like a perhaps hand
(which comes carefully
out of Nowhere)arranging
a window,into which people look(while
people stare
arranging and changing placing
carefully there a strange
thing and a known thing here)and
changing everything carefully


spring is like a perhaps
Hand in a window
(carefully to
and fro moving New and
Old things,while
people stare carefully
moving a perhaps
fraction of flower here placing
an inch of air there)and


without breaking anything.

I can feel spring coming! Literally, the air smells like flowers. I'm not sure what plant we have to thank for that, but it's lovely.

A perhaps hand, placing odd and familiar things here and there. I wish I'd planted bulbs last fall. I may have to buy some, though they fade so fast. Daffodils and hyacinths and snowdrops and tulips and crocus... I think spring flowers are my favorite.

A perhaps hand that comes carefully out of Nowhere. Isn't that just like it? Winter is slogging along (here in the Bay Area we really have nothing to complain about but still), and then all of a sudden, a shift. A few blooms, some new grass, a few flowers were before there weren't any. A different quality to the light.

I took a walk last night by the water. We're so fortunate to live so close to the water, it's just across the street. Anyway, sun setting and birds settling, bobbing gently on the glassy water, reflecting the sunset colors. I walked through the part of the park which is usually brown and soggy or brown and crisp. It was lush and green, that deep Oregon grass-green that I miss so much. I realized that I kind of love this park. I've lived close to it much of my time here. I love all the little creatures in it, and the grass when it's green, and the water and the view of SF.

It was really nice to realize that I have attached. And then I realized that part of the reason I won't attach, generally, to places anymore, is because it was so painful to leave Oregon, that I'm afraid of attaching here, because I don't know where we'll ultimately land. I might just have to risk, and love, and attach, and grow some roots. For my own sake - so I can feel at home.

It was good to realize.

No comments: