Monday, March 5, 2007

This Is Just To Say: William Carlos Williams

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox


and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast


Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold


This is just to say, I'm back!

I love how simple and full this poem is. I think this is one of those 'high school' poems that you get in English and all the kids whine about how stupid it is. But I kind of love it. It's so simple, tender, joyful. It's the kind of note I'd leave for my sweetie. "Hi Sweetie... I'm sorry I ate the rest of the peach cobbler... it was so wonderful, please forgive me!"

I've been in a big re-reading phase. I think it's an attempt at getting at something within myself. Reconnecting somehow to some previous inspiration or energy. I wish I had my old AP English textbook... wonderful poetry in there, I'd love to reread.

It's nice to reread things you've read long ago. I just reread 'I Never Promised You A Rose Garden." I remembered some of the names, some of the feelings from the book. You know those feelings you get from certain books, some that linger? It's nice to feel those. It's like scent - you never quite forget them, and they instantly transport you back to a previous time.

I can't wait for plum season. I'm going to make a plum tart, and eat plums for lunch. It's time to get back into fruit-eating after a long winter of mostly veggies.

No comments: